Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Giving and Generosity

So recently I started reading "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo. I decided to read it for collateral reading (for my Western Civilizations class) and because I always have wanted to read it. I have really enjoyed it already. The beginning of the book opens with the story of a Bishop. This character is described as so very generous and loving. He makes a fairly large salary but gives away practically everything to various charities, saving only just what he needs to survive. I admit I was a little dumb founded when I read through this. Here was a man who was willing to live simply so those who were oppressed and poor would have food to eat etc... It was such an encouragement yet a challenge to me. We have so much in America. Even the poor here have more than those say in Haiti or India. How often we take for granted the amazing luxury we live in. In fact, we now consider these luxuries to be our "rights" as human beings. We dine out at buffets and drive automobiles while those in 3rd world countries break their back for $2 a day or even less. It just breaks my heart. I see myself wasting food and blowing money on things I don't need.
When I die, what is going to matter? That I had nice clothes? or a beautiful home? or will it be that I made a difference in the lives of others? That I was willing to give up everything for the sake of the gospel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment