Tuesday, December 14, 2010

He sees you when you're sleeping...He knows when you're awake...

I've been thinking a lot this week. What I say in this post may make you angry I don't know. I'll say it anyway though. I really hate Santa.
Why?
There are quite a number of reasons why I do not like the figure of Santa Claus. I understand that the original Santa or "Saint Nick" was a good person trying to do good. However, I have several problems with the Santa that is now portrayed basically in every holiday decoration, wrapping paper, toys etc..

1. First and foremost...Santa is a replacement for Jesus Christ.  Don't tell me no. He is, Santa has caused children and parents to forget the real meaning of Christmas.
I'd have to say this is disturbing to me ^ It shows what I feel though. Did Santa Claus ever give his life for mankind? Was Santa perfect?
Santa has taken the place of the Christ child in Christmas. Nowadays with everyone being politcally correct and no religion allowed to be spoken of, we have forgotten the reason why we celebrate!
What a sad state our country is in, where instead of calling it Christmas break it is Winter break.

2. Telling your kids that Santa is real is lying. Sugar coat it if you want, it's lying, plain and simple. It is not a great trust builder lying to your kids. You may think it's just innocent but I know if I were lied to from birth to about 9 or 10, I would wonder if my parents had lied or were lying about other things as well.

3. Santa Claus is all about greed and wanting more. This mentality of always wanting the best and more is not good. It is raising a generation that always wants more stuff and feels like it should be handed to them on a silver platter. Seriously, all you have to do to get whatever you want is just write a list and send to some guy in the middle of no where? Too easy!

Well, I could write more but I won't. I feel that Santa is not a good model of Christmas and that as Christians we should not allow him to take the place of Jesus Christ.
Truly only Jesus could live a sinless life, die on a cross and yet raise again 3 days later, take away the sins of the world, and yet want to have a relationship with us.
I thought of that one song about Santa Claus where it says "He sees you when you're sleeping...He knows when you're awake..He knows if you've been bad or good...so be good for goodness sake!"
Only God knows that, not some fictional man with a list.
As Psalm 139:1-3 says: "1 You have searched me, LORD, and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways."
Remember the true meaning of Christmas. Not the gifts, Santa, or shopping. Jesus Christ.

Luke 2:6-20:
6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.


8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,

and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. 17 When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment