Sunday, February 6, 2011

Give me Your eyes Lord...

For those of you who do not know, I plan on becoming a missionary over seas in the future. I'm sure by now if you have read my posts you know this already but still, just in case.
I don't know why but at times I forget that I am already in a mission field. I don't have to travel very far to find people who are in need, whether it be physically or spiritually.
Think about it for a second. How many people have you seen today? How many of those people are strangers to you, people who may not know the slightest thing about Jesus Christ?
I thought of that myself today, in fact it was extremely convicting to me. I know for a fact that I do not witness to unbelievers as much as I should. I am scared of how people will react or nervous because I don't know the Bible inside and out...and what if I can't answer one of their questions?!
Really when it comes down to things I am so selfish and prideful. I don't want to step out of my comfort zone and plant seeds in the lives of others. Lately I have been in deep prayer with God asking Him to help me overcome this. It is definitely a bondage of sin that with God's help I need to break down. I only wish I would have realized it sooner.
Please excuse my generalities, but as a whole the American church is not one that is evangelizing very well. Most figure they've paid their dues to God as long as they go to church on Sundays. The evangelizing and witnessing is the job of the pastor or missionaries. You have to have a Bible degree or degree in Theology to tell others about Christ right?
It's a totally wrong, self-centered, unbiblical attitude! The Great Commission command from Jesus Christ was not just for those who are called into ministry but TO EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES AND IS A FOLLOWER OF CHRIST! Why do we have such a hard time remembering that?
It is almost painful for me to think of all the lost souls in this country, in my state, IN MY TOWN that believers are not reaching out to.
So why don't we witness?
I know for me that fear is a major factor. I'm afraid of what people will think. I don't want them to see me as stupid or weird. I am much more inclined to simply leave them be and go through the motions as a Christian.
Another factor would be that I am not living with my whole life centered around Christ.
I'm reminded of that song "Give me Your eyes" by Brandon Heath. It's such a powerful and awesome song, but yet so heavy and convicting.
Here's the lyrics, Think about them for a minute:

Looked down from a broken sky



Traced out by the city lights


My world from a mile high


Best seat in the house tonight




Touched down on the cold black tar


Hold on for the sudden stop


Breathe in the familiar shock


Of confusion and chaos




All those people going somewhere


Why have I never cared?




Give me your eyes for just one second


Give me your eyes so I can see


Everything that I keep missing


Give me your love for humanity




Give me your arms for the broken hearted


The ones that are far beyond my reach?


Give me your heart for the one's forgotten


Give me your eyes so I can see


Yeah yeah yeah yeah




Step out on a busy street


See a girl and our eyes meet


Does her best to smile at me


To hide what's underneath


There's a man just to her right



Black suit and a bright red tie


Too ashamed to tell his wife


He's out of work he's buying time




All those people going somewhere


Why have I never cared?




Give me your eyes for just one second


Give me your eyes so I can see


Everything that I keep missing


Give me your love for humanity




Give me your arms for the broken hearted


The ones that are far beyond my reach?


Give me your heart for the one's forgotten


Give me your eyes so I can see

 
Our problem is that we don't see the world as Jesus did. The people of this world are so lost with no way to find salvation on their own. It breaks my heart when I hear the percentages of the amount of people dying everyday. Did you know that there are over 150,000 deaths every day? I can't even wrap my mind around that.
I wish I could say that just because you get convicted means you're going to do something about it. That's one of my problems, I can feel so strongly and yet never be willing to do anything. I want to change that though. I want to be committed to sharing the gospel. Won't you? You don't know what the future holds, maybe you will be one of the 150,000. Won't you allow God to work through you and bring people to a saving knowledge of Christ?
 
Luke 10:2 "He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."
Galations 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

No comments:

Post a Comment