Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"I'm good"


Picture this with me if you will: You are walking down the sidewalk and then you see a friend walking towards you. As she passes you call out your greetings: "Hey, how are yah?" She says. "Hey, I'm good" you reply.
How many times has this scenario come true in your life? How many times do we simply reply "Oh I'm good" when inside we are falling apart?
As Christians we are called to share one another's burdens, as seen in Galations 6:2. How can we bear others' burdens if we never share our own? God wants us to go to Him with our troubles but I believe He also wants us to seek out help and advice. I know I used to not want to share so much with people b/c I didn't want to make them upset, but I realize now it was also a pride thing. I didn't want people to either think I wasn't as good as they thought and I didn't want to be pitied. I wish I would have been more open though and shared, it would have been great to have someone behind me who was praying.
I say go to someone you trust or that you can trust. Share what's troubling you, don't be prideful but form a group who can build you up.
True friends will be encouraging but will chide you if need be. But yet the same can be applied to yourself! Be the kind of friend you yourself want to have! You've heard the saying...to have a friend you have to be a friend. Romans 12:15 says: "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep."
So laugh with your friends but be a shoulder to cry on if they need it.

"A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."

-Prov 18:24

2 comments:

  1. we just have to remember not to push to hard. Sometimes there are things in life that we can't/don't want to talk about. We just have to be there when they need us and make sure we don't make them feel bad if they don't tell us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great comment! Thank you for that. I just feel like we think we are the only ones dealing with a certain thing. Same with when we are struggling with a sin we don't want to tell others because we'll look bad...It at times comes down to a pride issue but yet there are certainly some things that are insanely painful to deal with or talk about. I just want Christians to support Christians, no matter how uncomfortable it gets.

    ReplyDelete