Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 7: 4 memories I won't forget

Day 1: Ten random facts about yourself

Day 2: Nine things you do everyday
Day 3: Eight things that annoy you
Day 4: Seven fears/phobias
Day 5: Six songs that you’re addicted to
Day 6: Five things you can’t live without
Day 7: Four memories you won’t forget
Day 8: Three words you can’t go a day without using
Day 9: Two things you wish you could do
Day 10: One person you can trust

Well, let's just say I HOPE I won't forget these but only God knows.

1. The night I repented of my sins and asked Jesus to save me.
The story goes like this:
I was about 5 or 6 years old. It was Sunday night and that day at Sunday School my teacher Mrs.Bacon told us about what Jesus did for us on the cross. Not only did she tell us what He did but why He did it. She told us that we were sinners and had done many bad things. Because we had done bad things we couldn't go to heaven because God cannot allow sin in heaven. Jesus came to pay the price for the sins of the whole world including mine. All I had to do was confess my sins to God and ask Him to forgive me, accepting Him into my heart.
That night I thought a lot about what my teacher said. I distinctly remember crying over the bad things I had done I felt so guilty. I remembered that I needed a Savior and that only Jesus can save. That night I prayed a simple prayer in my little bunk bed. After I recovered a little I went and told my parents what I had done smiling really broadly. :) They were happy for me and called my grandparents. My Grandpa is a pastor and prayed with me that night, thanking God.

2. I'd have to say another would be going to Mexico for the first time.
I was 14 years old, full of excitement and boldness. I was on a missions trip with my youth group (though most were in college). The plane ride to Texas was terrible, with lots of turbulance. It was my first airplane ride so I was scared out of my mind. I literally thought I was going to die. But I got past that and pushed it out of my mind when I reached the airport. We stayed at a missionary's house where they also had a printing press that we helped in. During the day we helped make Bibles and literature. Afternoons we would go into Mexico and have puppet/ evangelistic shows. I will never forget the first time I crossed into Juarez, Mexico from El Paso, TX. I remember seeing the Rio Grande River (which was really high from a lot of rain). I remember being a little scared as we went through border patrol. Then we came into the city, there were soooo many people. They all looked sad to me. Their eyes held no joy. I saw a man with no legs on the shoulder of another man. They were asking for money for a wheelchair. I cryed. I had never seen such poverty before in my life and we didn't even go to the bad parts of town. I saw quite a few things that frightened me; stray dogs, guard dogs both were scary and dirty. I saw bars and barbed wire on every house to keep out intruders. It was like I had stepped into another world. It was like in the movies where the land is taken over by bad guys and the people grow mean and suffer.
It wasn't all bad in fact I saw many things that were amazing too but it definitely served as a wake up call. From then on I knew I had to help people, no matter what happened in my life one day I would become a missionary.
During my week, that wednesday was my birthday. It was a very nice day though I got homesick as I had never before spent my birthday away from home. That night we had our usual puppet show and evangelistic chalk talk. Now, the girls from the trip would go around and help with the children, holding babies etc... so the parents could listen.
I was kind of shy but went up to this one woman and asked to hold her little girl. She handed her right off to me. That night I saw something amazing. After the man gave the chalk talk (using pictures to tell the gospel) he gave an altar call of sorts. Asking people to pray with him and talk to him about how to find salvation in Jesus Christ. That night the woman who's baby I was holding went up and I believe accepted Christ as her Savior. It was the best birthday present I could ever ask for. It was so beautiful. I knew that I wanted to be a part of that. I wanted to let God use me to lead others to Christ.
There's a lot more to the story of my missions trips to Mexico. You should ask me about more if you want. After my first trip I went to Mexico City when I was 16. It was also an amazing trip.

3. Alright, here's a funny one. My sister and I would get into a lot of trouble when we were little. Most stuff my mom probably does not know about...My sister is three years younger than me so you can guess who's ideas we were always following...haha
I love this memory:
Danielle (my sister) and I were having some fun outside. I was probably in third grade or so. I must have been learning about the Ancient Egyptians because I decided it was a great idea to make our own mummy. We took one of our Ken dolls and found some toilet paper. We wrapped the doll in toilet paper and then found a shoe box. We placed poor Ken in the shoe box and then raided our bathroom for some perfume. We found my mom's perfume and poured it heavily on Ken. It smelled terrible so we gagged as we placed the top of the shoe box over him. We went outside and dug a hole under our porch. Then we grabbed the shoe box and placed it the hole. We covered up the hole and it is probably still there today. (We have since moved to another house). But who knows, maybe the new owners decided to dig under the porch and found a delightful "Egyptian Mummy".

4. This is hard! I can't think of just one!
I think I like this one though:
If you know me, you will know that I LOVE to sing. Besides Missions, singing is my passion. One year for our spring concert I was asked to sing a solo. I was able to sing a song in Latin all by myself. It was so much fun. I can remember being slightly nervous before hand. But every time before I sing, whether it's for church or anything, I ask God to help me. I ask Him to give me peace and calm my nerves. Last but not least I ask that He help me to keep my motives right, that I always sing for His glory and not my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment