Monday, February 7, 2011

Serving man or serving God?

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." ~James Wooden

Lately, I have been focusing on what my motives are. Why do I do what I do? Am I really doing all of this good stuff for God's glory or simply to make myself look good? I've spent a lot of time in prayer about this, asking God to help me to do all things for Him. I gotta say it's so hard. When people say you're doing a good job or compliment your gifts it's so easy to get all puffed up like you're something special. I struggle with it!
Today I auditioned for a group with my college. To get to the audition I had to walk around our beautiful pond here at college. Now I was a little nervous and on edge with excitement, but I prayed and I prayed as I walked. I got to thinking: What if I was completely sold out for God? What if I gave Him 1,000% of my life? How would my life look then? If I were completely humble and just offered my life up as a sacrifice to Him?
I'm sure He would use me, but how?
It was some great food for thought. I thought of the missionaries I have read about and their lives. I thought of how God can use one man, one woman, for incredibly amazing stuff. I want people to say that about me.
I want others to say: "She was completely sold out for God, She gave Him her all EVERYDAY"
So, recently in Bible Study I came across this verse. Man, it struck me to the core! You ever have that? Where you read the Bible and it's like MAN I struggle with that!
Galations 1:10- "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."
Whoa, heavy stuff! If our goal is to please mankind and make ourselves popular than we are not serving Christ! It just doesn't work! You either serve man or Christ, not both!
I struggle with that! I want people to think I'm the right stuff. I want people to know I'm a "good girl" by what I do. But I do it for nothing if I'm not doing it for the glory of God!
I found another one which is kind of similar as well:
Ephesians 6:7-  "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men,"
So think about your motivations...Pray about them. Why are you doing what your doing? Are you serving men or God?

No comments:

Post a Comment